Sunday, January 22, 2012

Slow Cooker Vegetarian Split Pea Soup


Before I became a vegetarian six years ago, I loved to eat split pea soup. Of course, most recipes call for ham. I am always looking to make recipes that are adaptable to my dietary choice. When I found a recipe on tasteofhome.com that could still taste like authentice split pea soup without the meat, I was ecstatic. Both vegetarians and carnivores have enjoyed this soup as is. Nevertheless, if you just cannot eat this soup with ham, feel free to add it it with the rest on the ingredients.

Slow Cooker Vegetarian Split Pea Soup

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 7-8 hours
Servings: 8

Ingredients

  • 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas, rinsed
  • 1 medium leek (white portion only), chopped and rinsed
  • 3 celery ribs, chopped
  • 2 medium carrots, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
  • 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth or 7 1/4 cups water and 5 vegetable boullioun cubes
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 bay leaf

Directions

In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until peas are tender. Discard bay leaf. Add salt to taste. Enjoy!
Optional: I also cook this recipe in a large pot on the stovetop. You just put in all of the ingredients in the pot, and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook on medium low until the peas are tender. It usually takes my soup 45 minutes to an hour to get to the consistency I like when I cook it this method. Add salt to taste. Enjoy!

Recipe adated from http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Vegetarian-Split-Pea-Soup-2

No comments:

Post a Comment